Gov. Jan Brewer, you said you'd do the right thing and you did when you announced yesterday that you were vetoing SB 1062.
You did the right thing for the heart of Arizona, the sensitivity of Arizona and most importantly for the people of Arizona -- all the people who absolutely know that this is not an intolerant state, who know Arizona is not a discriminatory state or a state with a disproportionate share of bigots.
Barry Goldwater and Mo Udall would be proud of you today, Jan Brewer. Barry Goldwater from his Jewish heritage, embracing his gay family member and Mo Udall understanding prejudice personally as an active Mormon.
History has already been kind to those two Arizona leaders. And now, I feel you will be well remembered too, because you did the right thing.
You didn't bow to the pressure from the extremes of your party or those who would define morality for the entire state. And now the news departments of the nation can concentrate on other stories from other places.
And I personally express my appreciation to you, Jan Brewer. Thank you for governing.
I'm Pat McMahon.
- SB 1062 opposition begins pushing back
- Lawyer says SB 1062 fight is just beginning
- Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes SB 1062
- CAP President: Veto marks 'tragic day'
- Arizona politicians react to SB 1062 veto
- Council thanks Brewer for SB 1062 veto
- Rob's 5: Big black eyes in Arizona history
- Brewer holds meetings on SB 1062
- Report: NFL may move Super Bowl from AZ
- The basics of SB 1062
- Final Word: AZ out to make a fool of itself?
- AZ senator defends SB 1062 on 'AC360'
- Meghan McCain 'horrified' at SB 1062
- Farmer throws support behind SB 1062
- SB 1062 could affect 2015 Super Bowl
- Group addresses 'misinformation' about bill
- St. James: Should AZ care what others think?
- Karie: SB 1062 Stand Your Ground for bigots
- McMahon: Bon appetit, Arizona
- Foster: 'We reserve the right'
- Senator: 'Lapse' when voting for SB 1062
- Hispanic lawyers pull AZ conference
- Official: Arizona tourism loses with SB 1062
- Expert: Bill won't derail economic recovery
- Valley restaurant takes stand against bill
- Phx business showing SB 1062 disgust
- Go Daddy releases anti-SB 1062 statement
- George Takei rips Arizona over SB 1062
- Apple adds to anti-SB 1062 sentiments
- State treasurer says veto Arizona bill
- Three senators urge veto of SB 1062
- Service refusal bill bad for Ariz. taxpayers
- SB 1062 opponents protest at capitol
- Council urges Brewer to veto SB 1062
- AZ governor hopefuls weigh in on SB 1062
- Religious service bill riles gay supporters