Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

A propane explosion at a north Phoenix gas station sent one man to the hospital with burn injuries on Wednesday.

According to Phoenix Fire Department Cpt. Scott McDonald, the 40-year-old man had just filled four propane tanks for use on a hot air balloon near 19th Ave. and Rose Garden Ln. when the explosion occurred.

"Something happened during that process and the propane ended up igniting," he said. "Once that got going, the basket, the balloon, everything in the trailer started going very quickly and the fire grew very fast."

Crews were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to a nearby 2,000-gallon propane tank.

The man was hospitalized in serious condition with first-, second- and third-degree burns.

No one else was injured.

Martha Maurer, News Editor

share this story:
Attention Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus