VILNIUS, Lithuania (AP) - Here's a recycling project just for the holidays: A 4-meter (13.2-feet) tall Christmas tree made of 1,100 empty bottles of champagne and sparkling water.
Lithuanian policeman Dalius Valukonis says he spent three years and hundreds of hours of his free time to create the tree using bottles he got from restaurants, bars, family and friends.
The non-drinker said Saturday a metal structure with special hooks and construction foam holds the bottles in place. It's an eye-catcher that makes motorists in the town of Lazdijai near the Polish border snap pictures.
Valukonis says he intends to build something even more impressive next year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- State probe found Tucson emergency room ignored some patients
- 2 more die in Laughlin plane crash, pushing death toll to 3
- Man shot, killed by police after opening fire near eastern Arizona temple
- California man killed in Eloy, Ariz., skydiving accident
- Fallen Mesa soldier honored in President Obama's weekly address