VILNIUS, Lithuania (AP) - Here's a recycling project just for the holidays: A 4-meter (13.2-feet) tall Christmas tree made of 1,100 empty bottles of champagne and sparkling water.
Lithuanian policeman Dalius Valukonis says he spent three years and hundreds of hours of his free time to create the tree using bottles he got from restaurants, bars, family and friends.
The non-drinker said Saturday a metal structure with special hooks and construction foam holds the bottles in place. It's an eye-catcher that makes motorists in the town of Lazdijai near the Polish border snap pictures.
Valukonis says he intends to build something even more impressive next year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Valley-area sandwich makes list of 'Best Sandwiches in America'
- New Arizona law limits when schools can use restraint, seclusion
- Man in custody after body found at Tempe Beach Park playground
- Grand Canyon National Park makes list of '10 Best National Parks to Visit in 2015'
- Invasive buffelgrass no longer just southern Arizona's problem