SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A two-headed turtle has hatched at the San Antonio Zoo and officials have named her Thelma and Louise.
The female Texas cooter arrived June 18 and will go on display Thursday at the zoo's Friedrich Aquarium.
Zoo spokeswoman Debbie Rios-Vanskike (van SKYKE') said Wednesday that the two-headed turtle appears healthy and is able to swim and walk. She says experts at the zoo don't foresee any health issues for Thelma and Louise, named for the female duo in the 1991 Oscar-winning road movie of the same name.
The San Antonio Zoo is no stranger to two-headed reptiles. The facility was home to a two-headed Texas rat snake named Janus from 1978 until the creature's death to 1995.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Arizona man's 100 uses for his ex's wedding dress goes viral
- Former Arizona car wash chain owner gets 1 year in prison
- Hispanic chamber: Obama's immigration action will stimulate Arizona's economy
- Valley family gets a surprise from former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner
- Phoenix construction company repairs roof for scammed owner