WILDWOOD, N.J. (AP) - An 11-year-old girl from Pennsylvania and a 12-year-old boy from Maryland are this year's national marbles champions.
Emily Cavacini won the girls' championship Thursday at the National Marbles Tournament in Wildwood, N.J. Cooper Fisher won the boys' title. The four-day tournament featured 26 boys and 26 girls competing to knock marbles out of a circle.
Emily is from Shaler, Pa., just north of Pittsburgh. She's been playing marbles for about four years. She's a fifth-grader at Shaler Elementary School and won the Allegheny County Marbles Tournament on June 1.
Numerous other marbles champions have come from Allegheny County over the last 10 years.
Cooper is from Middletown Valley, Md.
Emily and Cooper say it's fun playing against their friends in the tournament, which is celebrating its 90th year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Peoria FD warn against driving into floodwaters ahead of monsoon
- Don't mix boating and drinking on July Fourth
- Sprinkles Cupcakes celebrates 10th anniversary with 10 new flavors
- Learning a lesson from the Super Bowl: 2016 College Football National Championship
- Storm brings heavy rain, hail to Tucson