PATTAYA, Thailand (AP) - For the second time in three years, a Thai couple has set a new record for the longest kiss, locking their lips for 58 hours, 35 minutes and 58 seconds in a Valentine's Day "kissathon."
Ekkachai and Laksana Tiranarat from Bangkok emerged victorious Thursday in what organizers said was the longest recorded smooch in history. The milestone must still be verified by officials from Guinness World Records.
The pair, who also won the annual contest in 2011, received a 100,000 baht ($3,300) cash prize and two diamond rings.
The event began Tuesday with nine couples. The contestants were not allowed to sit, rest or sleep. They also had to go to the bathroom together with their lips locked.
Last year's record, set by two Thai men, was about 50 1/2 hours.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Veterans Administration fires Phoenix hospital director Sharon Helman
- 21 states push to overturn Maryland gun law
- Valley firefighters prep for holidays with end-of-year drills
- Nephew arrested in fatal shooting at Phoenix car wash
- Rep. Ron Barber files federal lawsuit over uncounted votes in Arizona race