SOUTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) - The vandals that damaged a Massachusetts cemetery this week have pleaded "moo."
Police say a small herd of cows knocked over 40 American flags and veterans' bronze grave markers, then snacked on a few flower arrangements, at the Center Cemetery in Southampton on Monday.
Motorists called to report that the cows were loose. Police contacted the owner, Henry Wykowski, who caught and removed the cows from the cemetery.
Chief David Silvernail says the cows are an "ongoing problem," and his department has responded to complaints about the roaming bovines three or four times since last spring.
Cemetery Commission member Robert Floyd tells The Daily Hampshire Gazette ( http://bit.ly/WPQ4py) he plans on asking the farmer to pay for the damage once he comes up with an estimate.
Information from: Daily Hampshire Gazette (Northampton, Mass.), http://www.gazettenet.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Child cancer patients shave heads of Phoenix Children's Hospital workers
- Andy Tobin wins Arizona's 1st Congressional District GOP primary
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Memo: No wrongdoing in handling child immigrants
- Tech group hopes to open eyes in Mesa with open-data workshop