MORGANTON, Ga. (AP) - Health officials say four people in northwest Georgia have been exposed to rabies by a pet llama.
Officials say a veterinarian was called to a house in Morganton on Dec. 28 because a llama was showing signs of aggression- biting at itself, at others and spitting at one of its caretakers. The llama was euthanized and sent to a lab.
Officials say the caretaker the llama spat on is receiving treatment. Authorities say one person who came into contact with the animal experienced very little exposure and will not need treatment. Officials are waiting to hear from the other two people who were exposed to the virus.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Dengue fever spreading near Arizona border
- Court: Arizona medical marijuana law doesn't provide DUI immunity
- UA study finds kitchen towels spread multitude of harmful bacteria
- No criminal charges for Tucson sergeant who knocked down UA student during March riot
- Scottsdale school pairs with Cartoon Network to prevent bullying