VIENNA (AP) - Vienna's transport authority says a city bus driver checking a bag left behind by a passenger had the surprise of his life- (EURO)390,000 (more than $500,000) in neatly stacked 500-euro bills.
Transit authority spokeswoman Anna-Maria Reich says the driver handed the stash to police who tracked down the owner, an unidentified elderly woman.
But the driver has nothing to show for his honesty beyond praise from superiors. Weeks later, the owner has not contacted him to offer a reward.
The incident happened last month and Reich confirmed details first reported Thursday by several Austrian tabloids. It was unclear why the woman was carrying so much cash.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Registration program aims to curb bike theft in downtown Phoenix
- Shooting suspect arrested after lockdown at Phoenix Sky Harbor
- South Phoenix school provides food for students to fill their backpacks with
- Arizona health department awarded for new infant blood screening process
- Warmer Pacific Ocean could cause wetter winter in Arizona