LONDON (AP) - A man who climbed naked onto an equestrian statue in London's government district, ripped off its sword and bit it has been sentenced to 12 weeks in jail.
Dan Motrescu brought central London traffic to a standstill when he mounted the bronze statue of the 19th-century Duke of Cambridge on Nov. 23.
Police cordoned off Whitehall, a street that is home to several government departments, as Motrescu climbed up and down the statue, at one point balancing himself on the duke's head.
It took several hours for officers to talk him down.
Motrescu, a Ukrainian citizen of no fixed address, was convicted Tuesday of possession of an offensive weapon, criminal damage and a public order offense. A magistrate at Westminster Magistrates' Court sentenced him to 12 weeks in jail.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Timeline of Jhessye Shockley's disappearance
- Arizona Diamondbacks grant gives inner-city school new playground
- Phoenix's Roosevelt Row continues growth with new development
- No verdict in Jodi Arias case after five days of deliberation
- Demonstrators in Phoenix demand release of transgender woman in ICE custody