QUITO, Ecuador (AP) - The demand of dozens of citizens has been denied in the Ecuadorean city of Guayaquil: There will be no jackass running for the legislature.
At least 40 people paraded their candidate through the city's streets to the electoral council offices. Mr. Burro even wore a tie. But officials refused to even let them in the door on Thursday, even though backers had dummied up a mock voter registration card showing the candidate's photo superimposed on a man wearing a business suit.
Donkey backer Daniel Molina told local television stations the goal was to call voters' attention to the seriousness of the February election, not to insult any party.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- 'Waters of US' rule does little to settle feud over EPA reach on regulations
- Phoenix man accused of sex assault on quadriplegic woman
- Leak of juror identities in Jodi Arias trial can't be pinpointed
- Feds seek records on Sheriff Arpaio's investigation involving judge
- Hundreds attend protest outside of Phoenix mosque; no arrests made