QUITO, Ecuador (AP) - The demand of dozens of citizens has been denied in the Ecuadorean city of Guayaquil: There will be no jackass running for the legislature.
At least 40 people paraded their candidate through the city's streets to the electoral council offices. Mr. Burro even wore a tie. But officials refused to even let them in the door on Thursday, even though backers had dummied up a mock voter registration card showing the candidate's photo superimposed on a man wearing a business suit.
Donkey backer Daniel Molina told local television stations the goal was to call voters' attention to the seriousness of the February election, not to insult any party.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Man claims Tempe police guilty of racial profiling, files lawsuit against city
- 2-year-old Phoenix boy found alone, dead in hot car
- No decision yet in Phoenix tree dispute
- APS parent was largest donor to federal campaigns in Arizona last cycle
- Jury handed Jerice Hunter's fate in Jhessye Shockley trial