SKOPJE, Macedonia (AP) - Several hundred spectators got an unexpected shock at a circus in Macedonia after a lion broke through a safety enclosure during a performance.
The incident occurred late Sunday in Kavadarci, a central town about 100 kilometers (60 miles) south of the capital Skopje.
The spectators fled in panic when the lion charged through metal fencing at the Hungarian circus Safari, according to circus officials and witnesses. Children were crying and some women even fainted, they said.
The lion was stopped using a tranquilizer gun, while two other lions used in the performance were caged by handlers.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Phoenix man offers trunk of Tesla for $85 per night to Super Bowl tourists
- Renzi appealing denial of request for bail pending appeal
- Arizona Native Americans hosting Scottsdale festival this weekend
- Sky Harbor gives travelers option to donate spare change to USO
- 2 die in head-on collision on US 93 in western Arizona