BOSTON (AP) - A Massachusetts fisherman has caught a creepy-looking lobster that's colored to match Halloween.
The New England Aquarium says the 1-pound female lobster has an orange side and a black side, with the colors split perfectly down the middle.
Marine officials say such coloration is estimated to occur once in every 50 million lobsters.
The fisherman who caught the seasonally colored crustacean in a trap last week is from Beverly, a seaside community 20 miles northeast of Boston.
The rare lobster is known as a split. Aquarium officials said Wednesday splits have been caught in Maine, Rhode Island and Nova Scotia in the last 10 years.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Protesters march through downtown Phoenix, homeless shelter to close
- Gov. Ducey signs bill increasing cap for craft breweries
- Bill Montgomery's remarks to post-marijuana debate question draw boos
- Senate carves out exemption for taxi ride-hailing firms
- Arizona's Cactus league draws record-setting crowds in 2015
Related Halloween Links
- The truth about Halloween candy
- 10 most unhealthy Halloween candies
- 6 'sexy' Halloween costume fails
- Deliciously disgusting Halloween treats
- Tips to avoid Halloween hazards
- 21 terrifying PG movies
- Tips to host a Halloween party on budget
- 11 bad classic horror film remakes
- 16 scary Halloween financial facts
- Tips, tricks for celebrating Halloween
- How to enjoy Halloween on a budget
- Crafts for Uncrafty: Gothic Halloween Wreath
- Be aware of non-permitted attractions