NEW YORK (AP) - Lovers of the unusual are getting another chance to impress their Valentines this year in New York City.
The Department of Environmental Protection is again offering Valentine's Day tours of the Newtown Creek sewage treatment plant in Brooklyn's Greenpoint section.
The DEP says it's offering three tours this year due to "overwhelming demand."
The 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. tours were quickly filled. So another was added at 11 a.m. Thursday.
Highlights include the plant's giant egg-shaped digesters, which break down noxious waste into harmless sludge and gas.
During last year's tour, the plant's gung-ho superintendent warned the visitors a digester egg was about to emit a foul odor. It didn't disappoint.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Dengue fever spreading near Arizona border
- Court: Arizona medical marijuana law doesn't provide DUI immunity
- UA study finds kitchen towels spread multitude of harmful bacteria
- No criminal charges for Tucson sergeant who knocked down UA student during March riot
- Scottsdale school pairs with Cartoon Network to prevent bullying