Dempsey: Afghans cite civil casualties in strike
WASHINGTON (AP) - The military's top officer says the international military coalition in Afghanistan is investigating an Afghan official's assertion that more civilians were killed in a NATO airstrike in the Eastern province of Logar than the alliance reported.
Army Gen. Martin Dempsey told a Pentagon news conference Thursday that in the immediate aftermath of the bombing, two civilians came forward to say they had been wounded, but no others were found in the rubble.
Dempsey said that later an Afghan provincial official said additional civilian casualties had been found at the bomb site.
Dempsey said an ongoing investigation will determine the scope and scale of unintended civilian casualties.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)