Close
Bonneville Phoenix Network
 KTAR News
 Arizona Sports
92.3 FM KTAR
Menu
Social
Latest News

Man in coma after drinking quart of soy sauce

I'm pretty sure the suggested serving reads, "Use sparingly."

According to NBC News, a 19-year-old man from Virginia went into a coma after consuming a quart of soy sauce on a dare.

[He] is the first person known to have deliberately overdosed on such a high amount of salt and survived with no lasting neurological problems.

When someone consumes an enormous amount of salt, water moves out of tissues and into the blood stream. This can cause the brain to shrink and bleed.

About one month after the event, the man was fine and doing well on college exams.

Maybe he should study reading labels.

The Loop

About the Author


Carter Nacke graduated from Arizona State University's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism in 2010. He has been with KTAR since March 2011.

In addition to being a news junkie, Carter enjoys talking sports -- mainly soccer and hockey -- and covers the Arizona Coyotes for ArizonaSports.com.

He is an Arizona native and enjoys traveling.

Comments

comments powered by Disqus
Latest News