WASHINGTON (AP) - House Speaker John Boehner says a budget deal "won't happen" if Democrats keep insisting on more tax increases.
The Ohio Republican's remarks come as House and Senate negotiators are trying to find deficit savings to help pay for easing automatic, across-the-board budget cuts.
Boehner says President Barack Obama "got his tax hike in January" when he forced through higher tax rates on upper-bracket earners.
The top Democratic negotiator, Sen. Patty Murray of Washington state, wants to close some tax loopholes and replace spending cuts as ways of smoothing the harshest automatic reductions.
Boehner's position isn't new but comes as the pace of the budget talks appears to be quickening.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Government Shutdown Links
- Bruce: Uh, yay? Feds return to work
- Sen. Flake: Nobody wanted to see US default
- Parties bicker over blame for parks shutdown
- Brewer: State will fund Grand Canyon again
- Ariz. House GOP: Easier to work with Clinton
- Canyon closure benefited other sites
- Border agents' rep worries about retention
- Monument closing hits Coolidge hard
- Shutdown idles workers at bottom of Canyon
- Hope, skepticism linger about parks
- House GOP, White House seek end to fight
- Feds to let states pay to open parks
- St. James: Shut 'er down for good! Please!
- Dozer: Long shutdown will cost Boehner
- McMahon: If broken, why not recall it?
- Town OKs funds to try to reopen Canyon
- Federal government shut down over budget
- Shutdown impacts thousands in Arizona
- Brewer rejected in offer to reopen Canyon
- State not allowed to fund Canyon reopening
- Grand Canyon closes as part of fed shutdown
- Furloughed workers protest at Luke AFB
- Some immigration courts closed in Arizona
- More than 400 furloughed at Luke AFB
- Stanton: Gov't shutdown no time for politics
- Rep. Salmon requests suspended pay
- Brewer: Arizona can't bail out federal gov't
- Sen. Jeff Flake tweets about shutdown
- Bruce: Lots of 'non-essential' employees
- Brewer warns of shutdown-related problems
- Arizona staffers to work through shutdown
- TTT: Wrong people paying for shutdown
- Navajo Nation parks open during shutdown
- Timeline: Congress' path to federal shutdown
- Despite shutdown, lawmakers still get check
- Obama's unlikely ally: big business
- WW: Don't let shutdown ruin fall plans
- IRS: No tax refunds in shutdown
- Gov't shutdown closes parks, monuments
- Gov't shutdown's hit magnified for tribes
- Shutdown leaves thousands in DC in limbo
- Vets pass barriers at closed WWII Memorial
- Colbert uses 'Breaking' to mock shutdown
- Obama hits 'ideological crusade' in shutdown
- Obama shortens Asia trip due to shutdown
- Businesses worry about prolonged shutdown
- World fears economic shutdown ripple
- Are founders to blame for shutdown?
- US budget deadlock spooks investors
- King: Cruz GOPers want to 'hijack' GOP
- Conservative group airing ads on shutdown
- Stop being stupid, voters tweet to Congress
- Impasse leads to gov't shutdown (PICS)