Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 4:23 pm
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain, and 19 other fun (and useless) animal facts
- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. The same holds true for most radio DJs.
- In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, not a single case was reported where an ostrich buried its head in the sand. But, we all know, ostriches are notorious liars.
- Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur. Tiggers, on the other hand, are a wonderful thing. Their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of spring. They're bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. And the most wonderful thing about Tiggers is: he's the only one!
- A mayfly has a life span of 24 hours. So does a Taylor Swift relationship.
- A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. They are widely know as "politicians of the sea."
- A pregnant goldfish is called a twerp. So is Justin Bieber.
- A shrimp's heart is in its head. Begging the question: "What does he wear on his sleeve?"
- A crocodile can't stick its tongue out. But somehow you know when he's mocking you.
- Rats and horses can't vomit. So, their reaction to a Rebecca Black video is much different than our own.
- Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants. Slightly less than is expected from Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.
- Killer whales are not, technically, whales. They are orcas, a relative of the porpoise and the dolphin. But they live in rougher neighborhoods.
- If you stroke a shark from nose to tail, it is smooth. If you stroke it the other way, it is rough, and on some species, can even give you hand lacerations. Infection is the least of your worries, because while you're stroking him, he's chewing your leg off!
- Elephants are the only land mammals that can't jump. That's why the SBA (Serengeti Basketball Association) folded.
- If you add up the circumference of two of an elephant's feet, it equals its height. And it's also the size of Rush Limbaugh's kankles.
- A snail can sleep for three months. During that time, he dreams of waiting in line at the motor vehicle office, but his number never gets called.
- All polar bears, despite being near the North Pole, are southpaws. None are Polish.
- A cat has 32 muscles in each ear. I have several gray hairs coming out of mine.
- Cat's urine glows under a black light. That's almost as fun as looking at your old Jimi Hendrix posters.
- The term "dog days" has nothing to do with dogs. It dates back to Roman times, when it was believed that Sirius, the Dog Star, added its heat to that of the sun from July 3rd to August 11th, creating exceptionally high temperatures. Sirius is also the only star in the galaxy who's nose is wet.
- The only music in the 1975 Al Pacino movie, "Dog Day Afternoon," is Elton John's "Amoreena," heard over the opening credits. Ironically, the event depicted in the movie occurred on August 22nd. That's eleven days after the "dog days" end.
Got any more fun facts you want to share? Leave a comment. And, thanks for listening every weeknight at 7.
Russ Egan, Evening Personality