Updated Feb 8, 2013 - 2:06 pm
What I think about when a song is playing
If you think what I say on the air is useless information, how about this list of 20 things I think about when I'm playing the songs. And, just like the stuff I say on the radio, much of this is probably made up, too. Or is it?
- WHEN I PLAY 'ROUND AND ROUND,' I THINK: A rat can last longer without water than a camel.
- WHEN I PLAY 'YOU LEARN,' I THINK: Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks, otherwise it will digest itself.
- WHEN I PLAY 'NAKED EYE,' I THINK: The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.
- WHEN I PLAY 'I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE,' I THINK: A raisin dropped in a fresh glass of soda will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top.
- WHEN I PLAY 'ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT,'' I THINK: Every person has a unique tongue print.
- WHEN I PLAY 'TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP,' I THINK: 315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled.
- WHEN I PLAY 'LITTLE RED CORVETTE,' I THINK: During the chariot scene in 'Ben Hur' a small red car can be seen in the distance.
- WHEN I PLAY 'GIVE IT AWAY,' I THINK: On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.
- WHEN I PLAY 'HOW TO SAVE A LIFE,' I THINK: John Wilkes Booth's brother once saved the life of Abraham Lincoln's son.
- WHEN I PLAY 'BAD ROMANCE,' I THINK: Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are brother and sister.
- WHEN I PLAY 'SAFETY DANCE,' I THINK: Daniel Boone detested coonskin caps.
- WHEN I PLAY 'KISS ME,' I THINK: Most lipstick contains fish scales.
- WHEN I PLAY 'BAD MEDICINE,' I THINK: Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
- WHEN I PLAY 'HEY LEONARDO,' I THINK: Leonardo da Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time.
- WHEN I PLAY 'DIRTY LAUNDRY,' I THINK: During the California Gold Rush of 1849 miners sent their laundry to Honolulu for washing and pressing because it was cheaper to have it done there than in California.
- WHEN I PLAY 'FLY LIKE AN EAGLE,' I THINK: American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first class.
- WHEN I PLAY 'MOVES LIKE JAGGER,' I THINK: The number of possible ways of playing the first four moves per side in a game of chess is 318,979,564,000.
- WHEN I PLAY 'KUNG FU FIGHTING,' I THINK: Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to SLOW a film down so you could see his moves. That's the opposite of the norm.
- WHEN I PLAY 'A CHANGE WOULD DO YOU GOOD,' I THINK: If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.
- WHEN I PLAY 'TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS,' I THINK: A 2x4 is actually 1-1/2" x 3-1/2".
Try and guess what else I'm thinking, weeknights at 7. And thanks for checking my blog every day.
Russ Egan, Evening Personality