Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

NEW YORK (AP) - The mother of the man who killed 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard says she is "so, so very sorry that this has happened."

Cathleen Alexis said Wednesday in New York City that she does not know why her son, Aaron, did what he did and she will never be able to ask him.

The mother read a statement at her home in Brooklyn. She concluded, "My heart is broken."

She did not want to appear on camera and did not take questions from a reporter.

Thirty-four-year-old Aaron Alexis opened fire at the Navy Yard on Monday before he was killed in a shootout with police.

Authorities say he had been suffering a host of serious mental problems including paranoia and a sleep disorder.


(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus