Wiring caused fire at Pa. warehouse holding props
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Faulty wiring is being blamed for a fire at a Philadelphia warehouse where a string band stores its props for the city's annual Mardi Gras-like New Year's Day parade.
Fire department Commissioner Lloyd Ayers says Monday's blaze at the south Philadelphia warehouse was caused by permanent wiring and originated near the back of an auto shop at the site. One person was hospitalized.
Members of the Fralinger (FRAY'-lin-jer) String Band said Tuesday they found their props wet but undamaged. Fralinger is one of many clubs that participate in the Mummers Parade each Jan. 1. The band says it will definitely still participate in this year's parade.
The parade features thousands of performers wearing elaborate costumes and often is described as Philadelphia's Mardi Gras.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)