SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Arizona wildlife officials said parrot fever killed 20 lovebirds in Scottsdale.
Game and Fish officials said Tuesday that a Scottsdale homeowner reported finding the dead birds in his yard.
The agency said test results last week determined that the lovebirds were infected with psittacosis, a disease also known as parrot fever.
The disease, which can spread to humans, is hard to diagnose. Symptoms include a nagging cough, achiness or eye infection.
A Mesa woman became infected last year after using a leaf blower to clean up after lovebirds. She was treated for a respiratory condition with antibiotics.
Officials advised using caution when feeding wild birds and using diluted bleach when cleaning up bird waste.