Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

PHOENIX -- A Valley mom says her daughter died of a heart attack while on vacation in Rocky Point.

Kris Hamann blames the death of her 16-year-old daughter Lanna on energy drinks. Lanna's friends say she was drinking very little water but a lot of energy drinks on the day she died.

A Valley doctor confirms that energy drinks can be dangerous. Dr. Hammad Amer, a vascular surgeon at Banner Heart Hospital, said they are way more potent than soft drinks. He cited the results of a recent study by the University of Miami.

"The single-use drinks that come in those little bottles can be up to 10 times as much caffeine as a soda," Amer said. "It can cause increased anxiety, disruptions in sleep habits, arrhythmia and sudden death."

Amer said that the energy drinks are often marketed similar to sports drinks, but they don't replace the body's fluids.

For those who consume energy drinks, Amer gave this advice.

"I think moderation is probably best, and stay hydrated," he

Amer would also like to see more government regulation of energy drinks.

Bob McClay, Reporter

share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.