PHOENIX -- Hundreds of students may have been sickened by a norovirus at a Gilbert, Ariz. elementary school.
More than 200 students at Augusta Ranch Elementary were sent home after vomiting this week. More than 80 additional students were called out by their parents. Five adults at the school were also sent home.
One student and one teacher were tested for norovirus.
"They were sent to the Arizona lab for determination and there was a strong feeling that it was norovirus," said Debbie McCarron with the Gilbert Public Schools Distrcit. "They were able to conclude it was not a food-borne illness."
Thursday was the final day of the school year.
Norovirus is highly contagious and can be deadly for both infants and the elderly. Symptoms include stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. They typically fade in 48 hours.
KTAR's Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.