"We don't anticipate that area or (U.S. Route) 89A opening up for the long holiday weekend," said Brady Smith, Coconino County Forest public affairs officer. "We would hope people would steer clear of that area. There's just going to be a lot of smoke in Flagstaff and a lot of smoke in that area."
The Slide Fire, which ignited Tuesday afternoon near Sedona, Ariz., has spread rapidly due to strong winds. By noon Wednesday, the fire had already reached 4,500 acres with zero percent containment.
"The winds aren't supposed to really die down too much until probably late, late [Thursday]," Smith explained. "I know we're expecting a lower pressure system to come in later in the evening and then set up Friday and Saturday. That will help us out."
Triple-A Arizona offered up some tips for the thousands of Arizonans projected to drive to their Memorial Day weekend destination:
• Continue to monitor the situation closely.
• If you have plans to visit the area, check with your hotel or campground to see how guests are being advised.
• Be aware of cancellation policies. Most hotels and resorts may be flexible with cancellation policies in events like this.
• If you do plan to go anyway, be aware of road closures. Highway 89A is currently closed between Sedona and Flagstaff. AZ 5-1-1 provides the most current information.
If the Slide Fire ruins your plans, Triple-A Arizona's Michelle Donati has some Plan B destinations in mind.
"Jerome, Pine, Strawberry, Payson, Greer -- all are great alternatives," she said.
She also recommended staying even closer to home.
"We've seen a number of Valley resorts start unloading their 'staycation' specials for those who live in Arizona, and these are some of the nicest resorts in the country," Donati added.
Of the more than 718,000 Arizonans expected to travel over Memorial Day weekend, Triple-A had projected that 87 percent will drive.
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.