Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Authorities said oil-soaked towels started a fire at a Tucson-area retirement home, forcing the evacuation of six units as smoke filled a three-story building's first floor.

Northwest Fire District firefighters put out the fire Friday morning after being alerted by a water-flow alarm at the Amber Lights independent living facility.

The building's fire sprinklers put out most of the fire, and firefighters extinguished the rest and then used fans to ventilate the building.

A fire inspector determined that the fire started accidentally after a large pile of towels ignited due to a chemical reaction. The towels had been used to clean and recoat doors with linseed oil.

The sprinkler system left 3 inches of water in some areas of the building. Damage was estimated at $5,000.

Associated Press,

share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.