PHOENIX -- Jodi Arias return to court Friday as attorneys prepared for a second penalty phase.
The proceedings were closed.
Arias was convicted of murder last year for the 2008 killing of her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander, in Mesa, but jurors couldn't reach a decision on a sentence.
Under state law, while her murder conviction stands, prosecutors have the option of putting on a second penalty phase with a new jury in an effort to secure a death sentence.
If the second panel fails to reach a unanimous decision, the death penalty will be removed from consideration. The judge then would sentence Arias to spend her life behind bars or be eligible for release after 25 years. The second penalty phase is set for September.
State v Jodi Arias has begun. Judge Stephens set the next hearing for July 1. All other matters will be conducted in a closed proceeding.— MC Superior Court (@courtpio) May 16, 2014
- Retrial for Arias sentencing is March 17
- Judge delays setting Arias resentencing date
- New Jodi Arias movie trailer released
- Prosecutor talks next steps for Arias case
- First glimpse of Jodi Arias film
- Jury foreman: Arias testimony didn't help her
- Arias detractor angry over mistrial
- Mistrial declared in Arias penalty phase
- McMahon: Never-ending story
- The next steps in Jodi Arias case
- Jodi Arias gives 3 TV interviews
- Jodi Arias asks jury for life in prison
- Actors in Arias film speak about roles
- Jodi Arias TV movie to debut June 22
- A look at Arias' life in jail
- McMahon: Til death
- Timeline of events in Arias murder case
- Twitter hoax caused panic during verdict
- Hunter: Arias found guilty, but still won
- Jodi Arias convicted of first-degree murder
- Arias talked after found guilty of murder
- Hunter: Time for cameras to go in courtroom
- Friend: Arias verdict 'better than Christmas'
- Statement: Alexander siblings to sue Arias
- Huizenga: No truth known in Arias case
- Donald Trump: Jodi Arias 'guilty as hell'
- Hunter: Live in Arias crime home? Not me!
- Third juror dismissed in Jodi Arias trial
- Arias parents: Daughter had issues
- Psychologists: Arias trial escape from reality
- Hunter: Time to pull cameras out of court
- Final Word: Jodi Arias tweeting from jail
- Report: Person sells gallery seat for $200
- Arias selling t-shirts benefitting victims?
- Dismissed Arias juror speaks to media
- Snow White plays a part in Jodi Arias trial
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.