Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Dozens of people were evacuated from an apartment complex early Thursday morning because of a fire in a restaurant in an adjoining building.

The restaurant was closed and there were no injuries. Firefighters said an ice machine in the Umami restaurant near Mill Ave and Sixth Street, caught fire at 1:30 a.m.

Fire Department spokesman Kevin Bailey said a security guard heard a fire alarm sounding in the noodle shop and discovered smoke in the building.

The fire caused little damage but forced evacuation of approximately 60 people in the apartments.

Associated Press,

share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.