PHOENIX -- Meghan McCain may be a Republican and raised by a Republican senator, but she is also an active, vocal supporter of gay rights, and she has voiced her opposition for SB 1062.
"It is embarrassing, it is backwards, it is the absolute last thing this state needs, and I am horrified, horrified at the legislators that passed that [bill]," McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR's Mac & Gaydos on Monday.
Calling the bill "absolute B.S.," McCain said that it's bills like this that make her ashamed of her beloved state.
"When you have bills like this, it makes me not want to come home," McCain said. "I am born and raised in Arizona -- [a] proud Arizonan -- and my father is a senator there, and I just don't understand."
She also doesn't understand why what seems to be a small group of people keep "co-opting the state" and speaking for it as a whole.
"What's so bizarre is that Arizona really is turning quite purple. It logically could be a swing state in 2016," McCain said. "I don't understand why Arizona continues to be this Petri dish of right-wing conservatism."
After all, McCain's own father and Sen. Jeff Flake, (R-Ariz.), have publicly spoken out against the bill and "they're both two conservative, Republican older men," McCain added.
- SB 1062 opposition begins pushing back
- Lawyer says SB 1062 fight is just beginning
- Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes SB 1062
- CAP President: Veto marks 'tragic day'
- Arizona politicians react to SB 1062 veto
- Council thanks Brewer for SB 1062 veto
- Rob's 5: Big black eyes in Arizona history
- Brewer holds meetings on SB 1062
- Report: NFL may move Super Bowl from AZ
- The basics of SB 1062
- Final Word: AZ out to make a fool of itself?
- AZ senator defends SB 1062 on 'AC360'
- Meghan McCain 'horrified' at SB 1062
- Farmer throws support behind SB 1062
- SB 1062 could affect 2015 Super Bowl
- Group addresses 'misinformation' about bill
- St. James: Should AZ care what others think?
- Karie: SB 1062 Stand Your Ground for bigots
- McMahon: Bon appetit, Arizona
- Foster: 'We reserve the right'
- Senator: 'Lapse' when voting for SB 1062
- Hispanic lawyers pull AZ conference
- Official: Arizona tourism loses with SB 1062
- Expert: Bill won't derail economic recovery
- Valley restaurant takes stand against bill
- Phx business showing SB 1062 disgust
- Go Daddy releases anti-SB 1062 statement
- George Takei rips Arizona over SB 1062
- Apple adds to anti-SB 1062 sentiments
- State treasurer says veto Arizona bill
- Three senators urge veto of SB 1062
- Service refusal bill bad for Ariz. taxpayers
- SB 1062 opponents protest at capitol
- Council urges Brewer to veto SB 1062
- AZ governor hopefuls weigh in on SB 1062
- Religious service bill riles gay supporters
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.