FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Northern Arizona University officials say a 20-year-old student living on campus has been admitted to Flagstaff Medical Center with a suspected case of bacterial meningitis.
The name of the student wasn't immediately released by the school Thursday.
Meningitis is an infection of the spinal cord fluid and the fluid that surrounds the brain.
Medical experts say meningitis can only be spread from person-to-person by direct contact with an infected person's saliva through kissing or sharing of personal items such as drinking glasses, utensils, smoking materials and possibly through shared food.
NAU officials say they have identified people who may have had close contact with the student and they're receiving treatment with antibiotics as a precautionary measure.
Coconino County health officials also are monitoring the situation to prevent the disease's spread.