PHOENIX -- According to the Maricopa Association of Governments, Americans produce 25 percent more trash between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day compared to other times of the year. MAG said cities and towns get their highest number of calls this time of year. That's why they launched a video campaign called "Think Before You Shop."
It includes six videos, each 30 seconds long, that offer tips on reducing, reusing and recycling during the holiday season. They include:
• Avoiding plastic utensils and paper plates to reduce trash.
• Choosing newspapers, calendars or posters instead of traditional wrapping paper which is not always recyclable.
• Reusing greeting cards by cutting in half and sending as a postcard.
• Avoiding foam peanut for shipping packages and using newspaper instead.
• Avoiding plastic bags and bringing your own while shopping.
MAG created a new website, which features the videos and recycling and waste reduction phone numbers for cities, towns, counties and Native American communities.