MESA, Ariz. -- Two people were hurt when their Mesa home was destroyed by a fire that began when sparks from a metal grinder ignited gunpowder stored in a workshop in the home.
The man who had used the grinder was hospitalized for burns while his wife was being treated for smoke inhalation and lacerations.
Mesa fire spokesman Forrest Smith said the fire occurred late Wednesday night. Smith said the man had been grinding down a screwdriver in the home's shop area where gun powder was stored.
An adult son of the couple was able to get his parents out of the home before firefighters arrived.
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.