Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

MESA, Ariz. -- Two people were hurt when their Mesa home was destroyed by a fire that began when sparks from a metal grinder ignited gunpowder stored in a workshop in the home.

The man who had used the grinder was hospitalized for burns while his wife was being treated for smoke inhalation and lacerations.

Mesa fire spokesman Forrest Smith said the fire occurred late Wednesday night. Smith said the man had been grinding down a screwdriver in the home's shop area where gun powder was stored.

An adult son of the couple was able to get his parents out of the home before firefighters arrived.

Associated Press,

share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.