PHOENIX -- Arizona's fall elk rifle hunting season just began but hunters are finding some new challenges because of the government shutdown.
Steve Clark with the Arizona Elk Society said hunters can still get into Bureau of Land Management and United States Forest Service land, but finding a place to camp is a bit of work.
"Some of the guys who use developed campgrounds are having issues," he said.
Those campgrounds have been closed because of the shutdown.
Clark said hunting is not permitted on National Park Service land and closure of roads is making it difficult for some hunters to get into their favorite spots.
"Park Service land is locked up. Cones are up and you can't get past the gates."
And in some cases, the closures will put a strain on hunters because they will have to pack their elk out at a greater distance than they would usually have to do during hunting season.
- Bruce: Uh, yay? Feds return to work
- Sen. Flake: Nobody wanted to see US default
- Parties bicker over blame for parks shutdown
- Brewer: State will fund Grand Canyon again
- Ariz. House GOP: Easier to work with Clinton
- Canyon closure benefited other sites
- Border agents' rep worries about retention
- Monument closing hits Coolidge hard
- Shutdown idles workers at bottom of Canyon
- Hope, skepticism linger about parks
- House GOP, White House seek end to fight
- Feds to let states pay to open parks
- St. James: Shut 'er down for good! Please!
- Dozer: Long shutdown will cost Boehner
- McMahon: If broken, why not recall it?
- Town OKs funds to try to reopen Canyon
- Federal government shut down over budget
- Shutdown impacts thousands in Arizona
- Brewer rejected in offer to reopen Canyon
- State not allowed to fund Canyon reopening
- Grand Canyon closes as part of fed shutdown
- Furloughed workers protest at Luke AFB
- Some immigration courts closed in Arizona
- More than 400 furloughed at Luke AFB
- Stanton: Gov't shutdown no time for politics
- Rep. Salmon requests suspended pay
- Brewer: Arizona can't bail out federal gov't
- Sen. Jeff Flake tweets about shutdown
- Bruce: Lots of 'non-essential' employees
- Brewer warns of shutdown-related problems
- Arizona staffers to work through shutdown
- TTT: Wrong people paying for shutdown
- Navajo Nation parks open during shutdown
- Timeline: Congress' path to federal shutdown
- Despite shutdown, lawmakers still get check
- Obama's unlikely ally: big business
- WW: Don't let shutdown ruin fall plans
- IRS: No tax refunds in shutdown
- Gov't shutdown closes parks, monuments
- Gov't shutdown's hit magnified for tribes
- Shutdown leaves thousands in DC in limbo
- Vets pass barriers at closed WWII Memorial
- Colbert uses 'Breaking' to mock shutdown
- Obama hits 'ideological crusade' in shutdown
- Obama shortens Asia trip due to shutdown
- Businesses worry about prolonged shutdown
- World fears economic shutdown ripple
- Are founders to blame for shutdown?
- US budget deadlock spooks investors
- King: Cruz GOPers want to 'hijack' GOP
- Conservative group airing ads on shutdown
- Stop being stupid, voters tweet to Congress
- Impasse leads to gov't shutdown (PICS)