Gluten-free food may be healthier for many people but it's also more expensive.
The Foothills Food Bank in Cave Creek is helping out with a gluten-free food drive to kick off National Celiac Awareness Day, Sept. 13.
Locally-owned Madison's Original Hot Sauce is also lending a hand.
The drive will run through Sept. 30.
"Where hunger is an issue ... gluten-free items items tend to be more costly and as more and more people are being diagnosed with Celiac disease, we wanted to pay attention to those (affected) families that are trying to live on budget," said Allie Marconi, a spokeswoman for the event.
The food bank will distribute the donated foods. Items can include rice-based products, canned vegetables, dried beans, gluten-free cereals and gluten-free condiments.
• Whole Foods, 7111 E. Mayo Blvd., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Country Store, 3345 S. Val Vista Drive No. 101, Gilbert
• Gluten Free Creations, 10880 N. 32nd St., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Creations, 2924 N. 30th St., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Creations, 7607 E. McDowell Road, Scottsdale
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.