PHOENIX -- Attorneys for convicted murder Jodi Arias have requested a change of venue, according to court documents.
In the request, her attorneys cite the massive amount of media coverage as the reason she would not be able to get a fair trial in Maricopa County. The defense claimed that 70 percent of all Arizona media coverage of the trial took place in Maricopa County.
Over 2,700 television and newspaper stories in Maricopa County alone were broadcast between the opening statements and the mistrial decision, court documents said.
Arias' defense also has three other motions pending: One would ban all cameras in the courtroom, another would force jurors to give the court their Twitter information to make sure they are not discussing the case on the social media site and the last would give the defense unlimited time to question potential jurors before they are selected.
Arias is scheduled to return to court next month, when a judge is expected to set a retrial date for the sentencing phase of her trial. A jury was unable to reach a decision of life in prison or death in May.
Arias was found guilty in May of murdering her former boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in a trial that caught the attention of the nation and has led to several books and a Lifetime movie.
- Retrial for Arias sentencing is March 17
- Judge delays setting Arias resentencing date
- New Jodi Arias movie trailer released
- Prosecutor talks next steps for Arias case
- First glimpse of Jodi Arias film
- Jury foreman: Arias testimony didn't help her
- Arias detractor angry over mistrial
- Mistrial declared in Arias penalty phase
- McMahon: Never-ending story
- The next steps in Jodi Arias case
- Jodi Arias gives 3 TV interviews
- Jodi Arias asks jury for life in prison
- Actors in Arias film speak about roles
- Jodi Arias TV movie to debut June 22
- A look at Arias' life in jail
- McMahon: Til death
- Timeline of events in Arias murder case
- Twitter hoax caused panic during verdict
- Hunter: Arias found guilty, but still won
- Jodi Arias convicted of first-degree murder
- Arias talked after found guilty of murder
- Hunter: Time for cameras to go in courtroom
- Friend: Arias verdict 'better than Christmas'
- Statement: Alexander siblings to sue Arias
- Huizenga: No truth known in Arias case
- Donald Trump: Jodi Arias 'guilty as hell'
- Hunter: Live in Arias crime home? Not me!
- Third juror dismissed in Jodi Arias trial
- Arias parents: Daughter had issues
- Psychologists: Arias trial escape from reality
- Hunter: Time to pull cameras out of court
- Final Word: Jodi Arias tweeting from jail
- Report: Person sells gallery seat for $200
- Arias selling t-shirts benefitting victims?
- Dismissed Arias juror speaks to media
- Snow White plays a part in Jodi Arias trial
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.