Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

PHOENIX -- A man is dead after a bizarre burglary incident in Phoenix.

Phoenix Police responded to a burglary call near 61st Avenue and Flower Street shortly before 3 p.m. Saturday. When officers arrived, it appeared the house had been burglarized, but the suspect was gone, according to Sergeant Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix Police Department.

A short time later, a homeowner in the same neighborhood called police reporting sounds in his attic. Officers quickly set up a perimeter and began giving commands. A man then stuck his head out of a screen in the home's attic and told officers that he was armed and had no intention of coming out.

Officers began to notice smoke coming from the attic, and the home was quickly engulfed in flames. Phoenix Fire Department officers later found the man's body after putting the fire out.

"We don't know why this individual ran into this house. We don't believe that he had any reason to be there," said Thompson. "We think he was a burglary suspect who was trying to find refuge in another person's house."

One officer was treated for smoke inhalation. Nobody else was hurt in the incident.

Crews from the Phoenix Police Department's Violent Crimes Bureau and the Phoenix Fire Department's arson unit are investigating the fire.

share this story:
Attention Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.