PHOENIX -- Newscasters Nancy Grace and Jane Velez-Mitchell were identified as the victims of online threats that Arizona authorities say a David Lee Simpson made because he was upset with their coverage of the Jodi Arias trial.
MCSO Sgt. Brandon Jones said Simpson was arrested and booked into the Fourth Avenue Jail on Wednesday evening. When authorities searched his car they found guns, ammo, handcuffs and other items.
Simpson, 48, was arraigned Thursday. He later told authorities that he had several pipe bombs in place in a rural area of northern Pennsylvania.
Simpson was previously indicted in Arizona on three counts of computer tampering and two counts of stalking.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said earlier this week that he wasn't going to release the anchors' names because Turner Broadcasting had asked that they be withheld.
But Arpaio released a statement Wednesday that identified Grace and Velez-Mitchell as the target of the threats made on Twitter.
The sheriff's office said the anchors were identified because a news organization had already named them.
Arpaio said Simpson, of Bath, N.Y., was infatuated with Arias and became upset with Grace and Velez-Mitchell's comments about the case.
KTAR Newsroom contributed to this story.
- Retrial for Arias sentencing is March 17
- Judge delays setting Arias resentencing date
- New Jodi Arias movie trailer released
- Prosecutor talks next steps for Arias case
- First glimpse of Jodi Arias film
- Jury foreman: Arias testimony didn't help her
- Arias detractor angry over mistrial
- Mistrial declared in Arias penalty phase
- McMahon: Never-ending story
- The next steps in Jodi Arias case
- Jodi Arias gives 3 TV interviews
- Jodi Arias asks jury for life in prison
- Actors in Arias film speak about roles
- Jodi Arias TV movie to debut June 22
- A look at Arias' life in jail
- McMahon: Til death
- Timeline of events in Arias murder case
- Twitter hoax caused panic during verdict
- Hunter: Arias found guilty, but still won
- Jodi Arias convicted of first-degree murder
- Arias talked after found guilty of murder
- Hunter: Time for cameras to go in courtroom
- Friend: Arias verdict 'better than Christmas'
- Statement: Alexander siblings to sue Arias
- Huizenga: No truth known in Arias case
- Donald Trump: Jodi Arias 'guilty as hell'
- Hunter: Live in Arias crime home? Not me!
- Third juror dismissed in Jodi Arias trial
- Arias parents: Daughter had issues
- Psychologists: Arias trial escape from reality
- Hunter: Time to pull cameras out of court
- Final Word: Jodi Arias tweeting from jail
- Report: Person sells gallery seat for $200
- Arias selling t-shirts benefitting victims?
- Dismissed Arias juror speaks to media
- Snow White plays a part in Jodi Arias trial
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.