PHOENIX -- Two men were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of robbing a home in Yarnell, Ariz., while it was under an evacuation order because of a wildfire, the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office said in a release.
Authorities said that, sometime between June 30 and July 8, Dakota Slone, 27, and Robert Frost, 22, broke into a home through a bedroom window and stole firearms, knives, coins and jewelry. Police sent out a bulletin describing the stolen property.
The victim told deputies that he spotted the suspects near his home during the evacuation process. A deputy made contact with Slone and Frost, who said they were aiding the evacuation. One was searching for a car to drive to Peeples Valley.
On July 10, a pawn shop informed YCSO that a knife matching the description of one that was stolen was pawned by Frost, who accepted a cash payout.
Slone and Frost were located in a Prescott motel room where a stolen telescope was found. Slone, a Yarnell resident, also told deputies that some of the stolen goods were buried in the woods. Those items were recovered.
Some of the stolen items, including the firearms, have not been located.
Authorities said Slone is being held on suspicion of burglary, theft and five counts of trafficking stolen property.
They said Frost is facing charges of burglary, theft and trafficking in stolen property.
About 20 percent of the homes in Yarnell were destroyed by fire.
Anyone with information on this crime or suspects should contact YCSO at (928) 771-3260.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Claims from Yarnell Hill Fire reach $662M
- Feds again tell Gov. Brewer no disaster relief
- Companies donate fire gear to Yarnell
- Prescott to take down informal memorial
- Legislators to discuss responder coverage
- Fire payments for crew covered most costs
- Pendant honors fallen fire crew
- Phoenix store donates $100K for families
- Legislators ask Obama to reconsider fire aid
- Planes called just before firefighter deaths
- Couple gets back wedding ring after fire
- Arrests in robbing of evacuated Yarnell home
- DPS paramedic reported firefighter deaths
- Pat McMahon: Back to business
- Yarnell residents return to burned homes
- McCain honors Hotshots inside US Senate (V)
- Brewer asks Obama to declare emergency
- Joe Biden speaks at Yarnell Hill memorial
- Rob Hunter: Remembering the Hotshots
- SR 89 near site of hotshots' deaths reopens
- Friends, family share stories of Hotshots
- Surviving hotshot reads prayer at service
- Yarnell Post Office reopens after wildfire
- McMahon: Misplaced outrage
- Wyo. Hotshots raise over $8K for AZ families
- Displaced Yarnell residents go home
- Fire crews: Answer to why is someone has to
- McMahon: Blackened tears
- Procession brings home fallen AZ firefighters
- Photo of flags on firemen creates controversy
- McCain: Deadly Ariz. wildfire highlights need
- Burns, breathing issues killed 19 firefighters
- Yarnell Fire destroys 129 structures
- Firefighter built, tried to protect crew
- Prescott holds vigil for fallen hotshot crew
- Candlelight vigil held in Phoenix for fallen
- Final Word: Firefighters' deaths rallying state
- Widow of firefighter shares memories (VID)
- Storms with lightning threaten Yarnell Fire
- Time-lapse footage of the Yarnell wildfire
- Hunter: Leaving everything behind
- Emergency shelters last chance for survival
- Fallen Prescott fire crew members ID'd
- Report: Two fallen firefighters from Calif.
- Firefighter: 'Doing best we can' after deaths
- Reporter: No surprise last-ditch effort failed
- Humane Society deployed to Yarnell Fire
- For hotshots, preparing a way of life
- American flag greets fallen Prescott crew
- Fallen fire crew worked front lines
- VIDEO: Hotshot memorial in Prescott
- AZ leaders tweet sympathy over Yarnell Fire
- Surviving crew member was moving truck
- Celebrities react to those affected in Yarnell
- VIDEO: Procession for fallen firefighters
- Obama: 'Heartbroken' over AZ firefighters
- VIDEO: Prescott hotshot memorial
- Firefighter's group statement on fallen crew
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.