Kingman Fire Department officials said Jeremy Lee was investigating a pre-packaged box of fireworks that malfunctioned Thursday evening when they unexpectedly detonated at the Mohave County Fairgrounds.
They said the 40-year-old Lee was wearing appropriate safety equipment, but suffered massive head trauma and burns.
Lee was taken to the Kingman Regional Medical Center and was later flown to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he was listed Friday in critical condition.
Lee's hometown in Utah wasn't immediately available.
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.