ADOT: No highway closures this Fourth of July
PHOENIX - The Arizona Department of Transportation will stop all construction-related closures on Arizona highways during the Fourth of July weekend.
ADOT is also advising drivers to be patient, as heavy traffic will occur at the start and end of the weekend for the many celebrations in and around the Valley.
People taking on the road this Fourth of July are reminded to keep a watch on changing weather conditions and be prepared for hot temperatures and possibly dust storms.
Drivers who will be on the road over the holiday weekend or at other times this summer are urged to follow these safety tips:
• Check your vehicle, including tire pressure, engine
belts and hoses and fluid levels
• Get a good night's rest before starting out on a trip
• Buckle up, including all passengers in your vehicle
• Stay patient, don't speed and don't tailgate
• Expect the unexpected, including closures due to crashes or events such as wildfires
• Pack extra drinking water and snack foods
• Never drink and drive
• Avoiding parking your vehicle on dry grass and driving through tall grass; hot vehicle parts can spark a brush fire
• Check road conditions in advance at az511.gov or by calling 5-1-1
Don't have anything planned for the Fourth of July weekend yet? Head over to our Fourth of July map and check out all the events that are taking place this holiday weekend.