PHOENIX -- With the Fourth of July coming up, the Mesa Fire Department is reminding grillers of some safety tips.
• The grill should be in good working condition. Make sure excess grease has been removed and the propane hose line is not damaged.
• Situate the grill away from where people are gathering or children are playing. Keep the grill at least 10 feet away from the house and low-hanging tree branches.
• Anyone manning the grill should wear long mitts especially made for barbecuing and cook with long-handled grilling utensils.
"Furthermore, when it comes to using charcoal grills, make sure the coals are cooled off before you dispose of them. We have had cases where those disposed in trash cans have led to fires," said Mesa Fire Capt. Forrest Smith.
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.