Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

PHOENIX -- Smoke alarms and quick thinking saved two families from burning to death in their Ahwatukee neighborhood homes early Monday.

Firefighters said the blaze happened around 3 a.m., near Warner Road and Interstate 10. Five people escaped one house and a young couple with a baby also escaped injury when the fire spread to their home next door.

No one was injured.

The fire started in the home of five people, who woke up when the smoke alarms went off. The five adults got out of the house and pounded on their neighbors' door until the sleeping couple responded.

Fire Capt. Tony Mure said the fire spread quickly but was limited to the two houses.

KTAR Newsroom,

share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.