PHOENIX -- A mother was arrested Tuesday after her two children were seen ingesting various pills on a porch.
The children were spotted by a neighbor who immediately stopped the 1-year-old and 2-year-old from consuming more medications. When the neighbor entered the home through an open door, she saw the mother, Jessica Harvey, passed out on the floor. The neighbor then called 911.
"Ms. Harvey was extremely intoxicated, to the point where she was really unable to get herself up," said Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos.
When emergency crews entered the home at 10635 N. 15th Lane, they found garbage, old food and bugs.
The children were transported to Banner Thunderbird, where the 1-year-old was found to have ingested a potentially lethal amount of aspirin. His stomach was pumped.
Both children will be fine. They are in Child Protective Services custody.
Harvey was charged with child abuse and endangerment.
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.