Bonneville Phoenix Network
 KTAR News
 Arizona Sports
Latest News
Updated Mar 7, 2013 - 5:51 pm

$1M bond set for ex-con in Phoenix homicide case

Victims Brandi Nicole Hoffner (left) and Philmon Tapaha. (

PHOENIX -- Bail was set at $1 million Thursday for an ex-convict accused in a double-homicide case after human remains were found at his mother's former home.

Alan Matthew Champagne, 42, was arraigned after being rebooked into jail Wednesday on suspicion of two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of concealment of dead bodies. Champagne was already in custody on unrelated criminal trespassing and aggravated assault charges, authorities said.

Phoenix police were called Tuesday after landscapers doing work for the home's new owners discovered the bodies of a man and a woman inside a wooden box buried in the backyard.

They said the bodies ``were in an advanced stage of decomposition and had mummified'' and were ``clothed and covered with lime.''

The bodies were sent to the Maricopa County medical examiner's office for autopsies, and police announced Thursday afternoon that the victims were positively identified as Philmon Tapaha, 32, and his 26-year-old girlfriend, Brandi Nicole Hoffner.

Police said they were withholding information about how they died.

Documents released Thursday show that Tapaha's sister was the mother of Champagne's two children.

The woman told detectives that Tapaha learned Champagne allegedly was cheating on the sister, and that may have upset Champagne.

Investigators believe Tapaha and Hoffner were killed in a north Phoenix apartment in June or July 2011 after some kind of altercation with Champagne. Police processed the apartment as a homicide scene in October 2011 and said they recovered biological evidence through forensic means.

``We believe the bodies were transported and then buried in the backyard of the mother's home,'' said Sgt. Tommy Thompson, a police spokesman.

In March 2012, police were trying to follow up on an unrelated case involving Champagne and he barricaded himself in at his mother's house. Police allege that Champagne fired numerous shots at officers before he was arrested.

Champagne was interviewed Wednesday by police about the double-homicide case but wouldn't talk about it, Thompson said.

He didn't have a lawyer as of Thursday. Champagne has a status conference and preliminary hearing scheduled in court next week.

Records show Champagne was given a 14-year prison term in 1991 for second-degree murder. He was released in 2005.

About the Author


comments powered by Disqus
Latest News