Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said changes are needed to ensure the safety of children and all citizens.
"Now, is the right time to act," he said.
Stanton is one of four Arizona mayors that are members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which, according to the organization's website, is a coalition of about 700 mayors "committed to working with our fellow mayors to share best practices, develop innovative policies, and support legislation at the national, state, and local levels that will help law enforcement target illegal guns."
Stanton is also part of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, which sent an open letter to the president and Congress asking for more restrictive gun laws.
"We're asking for smart public policy, public policy that we know will reduce gun violence, hopefully reduce the number of deaths as a result of gun violence and we think it's the right direction for our country," said Stanton.
Some of the changes Stanton would like to see happen include stopping the sale of high capacity magazines, assault weapons and closing gun show loopholes.
- President Obama speaks in Conn. (VIDEO)
- Obama signals action following shooting
- ATF: Gunman, mother visited shooting range
- Burials planned as school's future debated
- Victims: Lively youngsters, devoted adults
- School adviser: Gunman felt no pain
- Rifle in massacre similar to DC sniper
- Father of CT school gunman: We too ask why
- No rise in mass killings, but impact is huge
- How to talk to your kids about CT shooting
- Aunt: Gunman raised by good parents
- Newtown: A town shattered by tragedy
- Suspect killed mother at their home
- Ariz. schools learning from CT shooting
- Rob: Conn. tragedy leaves pain, questions
- Bruce: Conn. coverage not about me, but...
- Obama addresses nation after CT shooting
- Giffords' husband responds to shooting
- Student: Teacher saved life during shooting
- VIDEO: Student speaks after shooting
- Brother of student describes shooting scene
- Deadliest mass shootings around world
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.