Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

PHOENIX -- A federal jury has convicted a Carrizo man on nearly two dozen counts of sexual abuse and kidnapping that occurred on the Fort Apache reservation.

Jefferson Gatewood is set to be sentenced on Feb. 19. Several of the 23 charges were for aggravated sexual abuse of a minor, which carry a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Federal prosecutors said Monday that trial testimony showed that Gatewood sexually abused 15 people over a span of 30 years, though some of the conduct fell outside the statute of limitations.

Gatewood's conviction last week involved nine victims. The 44-year-old had pleaded not guilty to the charges.

An FBI spokesman says the case was unrelated to a series of rapes on the reservation in the mid-2000s.

Associated Press,

share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.