Updated Jul 16, 2012 - 6:40 am
Glendale Fire urges caution after toddler is burned
Last week, a 2-year-old boy in Glendale reached for hot soup in the microwave and spilled it on himself.
He was treated for burns on over 20 percent of his body. Michael Young with the Glendale Fire Department said it's important to set a no-child zone in the kitchen.
"Parental supervision," he said. "You're never going to want your child in the kitchen around a microwave or any type of cooking appliance, like a barbecue grill," he said.
"Create a three-foot barrier around any cooking appliance. You can use tape on the ground, you can do it with a rug."
Young said there are many things a parent can do to keep children safe in the kitchen.
"Avoid any type of tablecloths that hang over the table a great deal to where a child can actually grab a hold of it and pull it down on them," he said.
"You're also going to want to turn pot handles towards the back of the stove and use the back burners, if possible."
If a child is burned, Young said to call 911. While paramedics are on the way, rinse the burn with cold water. Never put cream, butter or ice on the burn.
Martha Maurer, News Editor