Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio told CNN his first thoughts on the news of the new immigration policy were, "politics, timing, why now."
The new policy by the Obama administration will stop deporting and begin granting work permits to younger illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children and have since led law-abiding lives.
Arpaio said he will continue enforcing the illegal immigrants laws just as he always has.
Related: Immigration policy
- Policy will spare some from deportation
- Heckler interrupts Obama during speech
- The good and bad of the immigration policy
- Brewer: US policy muddies waters for AZ
- Arpaio questions timing of new policy
- Romney reaction to immigration decision
- Bruce: President dividing country for gain
- McCain on immigration announcement
- Stanton stands up for new immigration policy
- AZ House Rep. statement on new policy
- Jay Lawrence: Policy is the right decision
- Babeu: Immigrant immunity plan is 'shocking'
- Sinema: Policy change good for economy
- Pastor responds to immigration directive