Besides the obvious election year pandering this Executive Order exposes, the larger concern is the effect this will have on the national discussion on illegal immigration.
The President is dividing this country once again for short term electoral gain.
Instead of actively pursuing The Dream Act and finding compromise in Congress, the President will do an end- around and only further entrench the extremes in this debate.
We cannot deport or lock up 12 million people, nor should we have open borders and no idea of who is entering America.
Also, the assumption is everyone here illegally wants to be a citizen as opposed to those who come here solely for economic reasons.
The Executive Branch has done nothing to help the plight of those here illegally and has only ignited the fires once again, forcing Americans to pick a side of the fence when the solution is somewhere in the middle.
Related: Immigration policy
- Policy will spare some from deportation
- Heckler interrupts Obama during speech
- The good and bad of the immigration policy
- Brewer: US policy muddies waters for AZ
- Arpaio questions timing of new policy
- Romney reaction to immigration decision
- Bruce: President dividing country for gain
- McCain on immigration announcement
- Stanton stands up for new immigration policy
- AZ House Rep. statement on new policy
- Jay Lawrence: Policy is the right decision
- Babeu: Immigrant immunity plan is 'shocking'
- Sinema: Policy change good for economy
- Pastor responds to immigration directive